Wednesday 31 October 2012

The beginning of the end!



Time flies when you are having fun, and as I got into the groove with my detox, I started to feel very comfortable with my food choices and started to really enjoy how good the food tasted. Once you get past the first week the caffeine withdrawal headache goes along with the sugar and salt cravings (thank goodness).
I certainly became more creative in the last days –

-       Breakfast – adding super green smoothie onto ground seed mix

-       Almond milk Smoothies – adding bananas, frozen berries, cocoa powder, chia or flaxseeds (see my almond milk recipe below).

-       Creative salad dressings – to keep the vegies interesting (see below for one of my favourites).

-       Chia seed pots – great little afternoon snack - recipe for this coming soon!

-       Fish parcels – the easiest way to cook fish - place fish with choice of vegies (bok choy, spinach, asparagus etc) in oven proof paper with drizzle if olive oil or squeeze of lemon and cook for 15-20 minutes at 200c.

-       Bliss balls – I have become a master in randomly throwing in nuts, seeds, dried fruit, or (whatever i could find) in a food processor and then adding some carob, tahini and honey.
     Just play around with the ingredients until it suits your taste buds! 

-       Drinks – I'm loving hot ginger tea, but have also been giving a whole range of herbal teas a work out.

With a couple more days left, I'm on easy street, just kicking back and enjoying myself, but am definately looking forward to slowly edging my way out with some cheese, some squares  dark chocolate and maybe even a glass of chilled white wine.

'But remember, if you decide to give detoxing a go, the best advice I can give, is ‘ease yourself in and out of the detox’ no shocking your body, i.e. don’t stop, then binge, you’ll feel terrible and undo all your good work (physically and mentally).' 











Almond Milk Recipe
Ingredients
Soaked almonds (1/2 cup before soaking)
3 cups of water
2 dates (optional)
1-2 drops of vanilla essence

Method
-       Soak nuts overnight and rinse well
-       Blend all ingredients on high until well blended
-       Put through a nut milk bag
    (you can buy these at www.consciouschoice.com.au)
      *Note I have then been using the nut pulp in the bliss balls which gives them a really lovely consistency, you can freeze this, and then use as almond meal when need


Salad dressing
 Ingredients
1 rounded tsp of unpasteurised miso
Juice of ½ an orange (I used a blood orange)
1tbsp mirin
1tbsp olive oil

This goes really well on chopped beetroot, carrot and fennel, with some toasted sesame seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment